Some of you may have noticed that I tend to have a slightly anti-government attitude. Actually, I am MORE than slightly anti-government in my opinions. So why, then, do I have a blog called "Christian STATES of America" ?
Because even though I would prefer to have NO government, I don't believe that any change of government IN ANY PLACE ON EARTH will ever result in a government-free zone. It is simply too radical an idea to be even considered by the majority of people in any political jurisdiction, no matter HOW much the population hates its present form of government.
Therefore, failing the elimination of government, I would support the form of government that was given to us by the Founders of America in the late 18th century.
The form of government given to us by the founders, as explained by Benjamin Franklin, was "a Republic, if you can keep it." .
Well, we have NOT managed to keep it.
It started with the Supreme court granting itself the powers of "interpreting" the Constitution, rather than just ruling on the legality of laws under the Constitution AS WRITTEN. Then came the self-appointed powers to rule on the laws of the several states, rather than merely settling disputes between the states. Then the Supreme court gave itself the power to re-write laws to suit the political views of the "Justices" on the court. Then came the powers to discover new rights unnoticed for the first two centuries of the republic. Now, the court has suddenly claimed the power to redefine the meaning of words written into laws passed by Congress and void Constitutional procedures governing the passage of legislation. And lastly, the power to redefine ancient institutions as old as marriage- an institution even older than Christianity. In effect, the Supreme court has almost single-handedly erased the Constitution and undermined the moral underpinnings of the country.
Presidents have been out from under the Constitution, a document designed to limit the powers of the government, from the time Franklin Roosevelt ordered the banks shut down, safe deposit boxes opened, and all gold seized in 1933, and when Harry Truman started issuing "emergency contingency" Executive orders meant to be used in the event of catastrophic nuclear war or other unforeseen circumstances .
Prior to 1932, uncontested Executive Orders had determined such issues as national mourning on the death of a president, and the lowering of flags to half-staff and other "proclamations".
I can only assume that Truman was only trying to be prudent- after all, until becoming President, he had no idea of atomic bombs, and the thought of an enemy destroying the government in one fell swoop probably scared the hell out of him. Executive Orders bypass the Constitution easily and often. No scrutiny is taken of them because the most outrageous of them have not yet been implemented.
Then there is the Congress. The Senate, which was to be the branch under the control of the States, by the fact that Senators were to be appointed by the various State legislatures, was changed to direct election by the voters in 1913. Although this seems to be a noble idea at first consideration, it took away control from the States and gave it to the political parties, which are more easily influenced or bribed than dozens of individual legislatures.
Congress has now decided that it can "deem" votes to have been taken, it can exempt itself from the laws it passes, such as insider trading laws and Obamacare, it can pass SECRET laws which the citizens are PROHIBITED from reading, and members of Congress themselves HAVE NOT READ. And many believe that with the advent of omnipresent NSA, FBI, and other SPYING, members of Congress (and the Supreme court) are vulnerable to blackmail and pressure by the Executive branch of government.
And over time, ALL THREE BRANCHES of government have been infiltrated and populated with unscrupulous and corrupted and corrupting men AND women.
Many major articles of the Constitution have been invalidated or ignored, such as the requirement that the government issue only currency in the form of gold or silver.
Over the years, even the sacred Bill of Rights has been invalidated, with ONE possible exception.
I am not aware of the U.S. military quartering soldiers in anyone's homes against their wills.
- The First Amendment - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Religion has been under attack since 1962 when prayer was banned from public schools. "Free Speech Zones" are set up at Democrat and Republican Conventions, and wherever the president is giving a speech. This is actually a clever way of saying that there is NO free speech here except in this small fenced-in area.
- The Second Amendment - A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. This Amendment has been shot full of holes. Concealed carry and Open carry permits, Background checks, Executive Orders, Licenses, state and local laws including ex-post-facto laws all violate this Amendment.
- The Third Amendment - No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. We still appear to HAVE this Amendment ! WHOOPEE ! (Not to minimize the importance of this Amendment in any way.)
- The Fourth Amendment- The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. DEAD AS A DOORNAIL ! No-knock warrants, SWAT team raids, traffic stops to search your vehicle, NSA spying, FBI spying, phone taps, mail monitoring, satellite and aerial surveillance, email capturing, keylogging, cell phone data scanning, on and on.
- The Fifth Amendment - No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. Most of these are gone. The double jeopardy provision has been invalidated by the seperate application of both Federal and State laws in highly-publicised cases, mostly when the outcome of a trial was not pleasing to the liberal (or sometimes conservative) agenda. A defendant is not usually required to testify against himself. And now, "law enforcement agencies" can and do confiscate citizen's property without authorization. Of course it is often NOT "taken for public use".
- The Sixth Amendment - In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense. Since the adoption of the "Patriot Act", not even a lawyer, a trial, or even an appearance before a judge is guaranteed and a prisoner can be held incommunicado and indefinitely. That means forever.
- The Seventh Amendment - In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law. I am not a lawyer. But it seems that every part of the law can be twisted to suit a client or prosecutor with enough dough or clout.
- The Eighth Amendment - Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. Multi-million dollar bail is not uncommon. And long prison time for non-violent offenders is common.
- The Ninth Amendment - The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. Mostly, this Amendment means that we have the right to be left alone by the government. When I was young, you had to make a conscious effort to cross paths with the government. Now it is difficult to AVOID the government in our daily lives.
- The tenth Amendment -
To sum up, I believe that the ONLY LEGITIMATE function of government is to protect its citizens. To protect them from theft and fraud, and from physical harm from aggressive nations and invaders, and from criminals and usurpers.